Now that winter has ended, it’s time to make your spring and summer travel plans with friends and family. Before you know it, you’ll be boarding the plane or jumping in the car.
As the days start to get longer, and travel season begins, it’s important to remember these essential tips to have fun and stay healthy and safe:
1. Be aware of your surroundings. When booking a vacation home online, be sure to research the area in which you’re booking. Find out where the closest emergency room is, what grocery stores are nearby, and how far any activities that you may want to participate in are. Read reviews on the vacation homes you’re looking at, and the location itself. If the home or location has a majority of bad reviews, then you may want to consider searching for a new destination.
2. Make a packing list. When you’re preparing to leave for your spring vacation make a packing list to avoid leaving anything you may need behind. It’s a bad feeling when you have to go to the store to purchase something you’ve already purchased and left at home. Be sure to include medications, sunscreen, and any other necessities on your list.
3. Have a buddy system. When travelling to your destination by car, implement a buddy system with your friends or family. Have a friend or family member ride with you if you’re driving. Also, be sure to stay close to the other vehicles travelling with you in case of emergency.
4. Don’t leave any valuables in your car. Spring break is a peak time for car break-ins. In order to avoid being a victim of car burglary, be sure to move all of your valuables inside or lock them up out of sight. Make sure to lock your car as well. Cars that are unlocked are the easiest prey for burglars.
5. Be smart with your vacation home. This tip goes hand-in-hand with car burglary. Always be sure to lock up before going out, and hide all valuables if you’re not very trusting of your friends or family.
6. Be money wise. Wherever your destination is, be sure to check the preferred method of payment. If you’re travelling outside of the country, cash may be the only option. Prepare a budget, and make sure to have enough currency for that budget. You may also want to have a backup ATM card just in case.
7. Be patient. Try not to stress over the things you can’t control, says Matthew Karsten, a travel enthusiast. Vacations are supposed to be times of relaxation, so try to go with the flow if something does not go as planned. You may even find that the unexpected situations lead to more memorable experiences.
8. Document your trip. Take lots of pictures and videos of your experiences while on vacation, but don’t stay behind your camera or phone the entire time. Take time to enjoy the views.
9. Protect your location on social media. Everyone wants to show off their amazing spring break trips, but it’s important to be safe about it. Before posting on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or any other platforms, check your privacy settings. Be careful not to share too much information about your location.
10. Be smart about drinking. If you plan on drinking alcohol while on your trip, be smart about it. Never set your drink down and leave it, and don’t accept any drinks from anyone you don’t know or trust.
11. Have fun. This is the most important tip. Enjoy your trip, try not to stress over the little things, and be safe about what you do. Following these tips will ensure that you have a wonderful and safe trip no matter who you’re traveling with.