While the pandemic has caused so many uncertainties, one thing that’s for sure is that a healthy heart is a happy heart.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the U.S. and about 655,000 Americans die each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Stress, unhealthy diets and lack of exercise can contribute to a heart attack or stroke, and the pandemic hasn’t made it easy to eat well, exercise and stress less. But small changes to our daily habits and routines can make a healthy lifestyle and your heart health a top priority.
- Cut down on sugar, caffeine, alcohol
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet that includes low-fat meals, vegetables, fruit, fish and lean meat
- Go for long walks or try these workout tips if your gym is closed due to COVID-19
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Stay connected with others who’ll support your healthy journey
- Find time for relaxation and keep stress to the minimum