’Tis the season for tasty treats, holiday parties and decorating. As you celebrate the holidays at work, be sure to follow your company’s workspace guidelines. Here are some common ones:
Cookies, pies, gingerbread, candies. The temptations will be endless. Remember to:
- Keep food in common spaces.
- Keep containers tightly covered.
- Clean up and clear food daily to avoid pest-control issues.
Decorating your workspace is OK, but not all items are permitted since they can be a fire hazard or create issues with pests, housekeeping and air quality.
- Artificial and fire-retardant decorations
- Live evergreens (wreaths, boughs or Christmas trees)
- Lit candles
- Dried corn stalks
- Bales of hay/ straw/ leaves
- Poly or plastic bags (e.g. black garbage bags) used for decorative themes
- Fabric or seasonal decorative wrap on cubicle walls, office doors or hard walls
- Items of any type hanging from the ceiling or ceiling grid
- Fog machines
- Electrical or battery-powered lights of any type
Also, don’t use any kind of tape or other adhesives that can damage paint and flooring.