It’s the holiday that’s all about love and flowers – and heart-shaped boxes filled with chocolates.
Chocolate and Valentine’s Day – you can’t have one without the other, which turns out to be a pretty good thing. Did you know you’re thinking of your health when you treat yourself to a piece (or three) of dark chocolate?
Pick up a gift for the one you love – there’s still time, and keep these health benefits in mind when you do:
- Heart health – Flavanols, a type of antioxidant found in cocoa beans, can help increase blood flow and lower blood pressure.
- Snack suppressant – according to a small study from the University of Copenhagen, dark chocolate may help reduce cravings for sweet, salty and fatty foods.
- Skin protection – remember flavanols, it’s the antioxidant that doesn’t quit. The type found in dark chocolate is said to offer protection from UV damage.
- Mood booster – obviously treating yourself to a piece can boost your mood, but it can actually help you feel less stressed.
- Memory maker – once again, those antioxidants can help boost your memory with increased blood flow to your brain.