Partner Profile: Saluda Shoals Foundation
Location: Columbia, SC
Mission: The nonprofit organization serves to support and protect Saluda Shoals Park through financial support, fostering partnerships, supporting programs and community awareness. The Foundation is currently focused on raising funds to support construction of Nature’s Theater, an outdoor performance venue in a casual setting where audiences and performing artists will connect to nature through art.
Saluda Shoals Park is an environmentally sensitive 400-acre riverfront park that invites visitors to experience the treasures of the Saluda River through exceptional environmental education, outdoor recreation and cultural activities. The park’s available resources include:
- A river observation deck, picnic areas, fishing, canoe, tube and kayak rentals, two boat launches, guided river trips, nature hikes and family programs.
- More than 10 miles of paved and natural trails that allow visitors to explore undeveloped forests.
- The 10-acre Saluda Shoals Wetland Preserve has been restored and enhanced in an effort to protect an ecologically diverse environment where visitors can learn about the wetlands.
- Saluda Splash, a water playground for children of all ages.
- The Barking Lot Dog Park, an off-leash dog park where pet owners and their dogs come to play outdoors.
- The Environmental Education Center, the hub for the environmental education program, and the River Center Conference facility, the perfect place for meetings and special events.
- Real Team Challenge Course – offering inventive programs/activities, including a Low Ropes Course, custom designed to meet the goals of each group.
How Colonial Life supports the Saluda Shoals: Colonial Life has supported Saluda Shoals Park and Foundation for the past 10 years through annual giving, as a Holiday Lights on the River partner, and as a Leadership donor to the Nature’s Theater capital campaign, a $60,000 investment. Currently, Colonial Life supports the Park through the corporate membership program, which includes benefits like month-long free parking for employees in June, donations for company auctions, and program offerings to school students and teachers in programs supported by Colonial Life.
Why? “The park advances our goal of making a positive difference in our communities,” said John Garrison, VP, Unum Group Chief Compliance. “Bringing people together to promote health, celebrate the arts, enjoy and preserve nature and ensuring bright futures for our kids is what Saluda Shoals is all about.”